Monday, November 4, 2013

Brandan Fokken: Bodybuilder turned Physique



6'1" Brandan Fokken, 34, 2012 BodySpace Spokesmodel finalist (Craig Capurso was the 2012 winner), from Sioux Falls, SD.


Fokken had some medical issues in 2011, after he switched from bodybuilding to the physique competition. He placed second at his first show (though was told he was still too big) and went on to loose 35-40lbs in preparation for the 2011 USA (though he didn't place in the show, here are the pictures).


In Fokken's own words, this is what happened after the USA:

"I was not feeling the best at the show and after it was over I became extremely cramped up. I went back to my hotel room and just lay there the rest of the night, with an occasional cupcake, or 5, and room service to keep all my post competition cravings at bay. You see the diet I was on was essentially mostly carbs with little protein which reaped havoc on my body post show. I felt even worse the next day and by the time I got on my flight, my body wasn't moving how it should and I was starting to feel numb all over. When I arrived home I needed help out of the car, but just told myself it was from the show and flying and I would be ok. I had dinner and decided to sprawl out on the floor to try and stretch myself out. I did that for a few minutes and when I tried to get up, I could not. That is when I knew it was time to go to the hospital."

Brandan's condition was attributed to "re-feeding syndrome," after dieting for so long he effectively became anorexic, so when eating all those carbs after the show, his body was trying to store fat and was spilling the rest of the nutrients. Plus the heat, And the dehydration. His body just couldn't recover from it. Pretty serious stuff.


Brandan did compete again and went on to become the first three-peat winner of the Muscle and Fitness Online contest. In 2013 he also placed second at the Muscle and Fitness Male model contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment